Tsushima Island (Tsushima City, Nagasaki Pref.)
A relay point for the culture transmitted from the Chinese continent
- Chinese Fringe Trees, often called "White Fringe trees" or "Old Man's Beard" in America. Designated as a national natural monument, these trees flower from the later part of April through the beginning of May.
- (Mar. - May)
- (Jun. - Aug.)
- (Sept. - Nov.)
- (Dec. - Feb.)
- : Culture
- : Gourmet
- : Relaxation
- : Shopping
- : Scenery
- : Convenience
- Eboshidake Observation Platform (Tsushima Island)
You can see a 360 degree view from this observation platform, including a view of Aso Bay (Tsushima Island). Aso Bay has one of the preeminent rias coastlines in Japan, a deeply indented coastline with many small islands spotted around the region, forming one of the splendid landscapes of Tsushima Island.
- Stone-roofed Warehouse
Stone-roofed warehouses are characteristic of Tsushima Island, constructed separately from the main buildings. Divided into compartments, the warehouses contain grains, like rice, clothing, cooking utensils and the like. The warehouses have stone roofs rather than tiles, because farmers were not allowed to live in tile-roofed houses in ancient times, and it is considered that the stone-roofed construction was a measure to protect provisions from fires and also as a measure to protect the buildings against collapse due to strong winds.
Tsushima mushrooms are grown on unprocessed timber. Due to the prevailing westerlies blowing in from the Chinese continent, Tsushima mushrooms have substance to them, providing a pleasurable gourmet experience.
- By air:
- Fukuoka Airport - Tsushima Airport; 30 minutes
- Nagasaki Airport - Tsushima Airport; 35 minutes
- By ferry:
- Hakata Port - Izuhara Port; 4 hours 30 minutes
- Hakata Port - Hitakatsu Port; 5 hours 50 minutes
- By jetfoil:
- Hakata Port - Izuhara Port; 2 hours 20 minutes
- Hakata Port - Hitakatsu Port; 3 hours 5 minutes
- By international ferry:
(Tsushima - Pusan)
- Izuhara Port - Pusan Port; 2 hours 20 minutes
- Hitakatsu Port - Pusan Port; 1 hour 15 minutes
- Tsushima City Hall