Mt. Takao (Hachioji City, Tokyo)
A scenic spot with easy access from the metropolitan area
Mt. Takao Yakuo-in Temple, a monk headed for the Gomataki ceremony
The Yakuo-in Temple, officially known as Takaosan Yakuoin Yukiji Temple, was built in the Nara Period (8th century), and during the Edo Period (from the first part of the 17th century through the middle of the 19th century), when it flourished as a place of ancient mountain worship, it was known as one of the three most important mountains in the Kanto region. Here you can experience the ascetic practice of standing under a waterfall, although a prior reservation is required, and enjoy Shojin cuisine, vegetarian courses that change with the seasons.
- Shojin cuisine:
- Vegetarian courses that exclude all meat and fish, featuring grains and vegetables
- (Mar. - May)
- (Jun. - Aug.)
- (Sept. - Nov.)
- (Dec. - Feb.)
- : Culture
- : Gourmet
- : Relaxation
- : Shopping
- : Scenery
- : Convenience
- Viewing The Scenery From The Peak Of The Mountain
Here, from an elevation of 599 meters, you can enjoy the natural scenery to the full, including a view of Mt Fuji.
The views from this scenic spot are wonderful during all four seasons, including the cherry trees in spring, new greenery in the early part of summer, the colorful leaves of autumn, and at the winter solstice, the setting sun vanishing into the crater of Mt. Fuji, a scene known as the "Diamond Fuji," is spectacular.
- The Allure Of Mt. Takao Ensures That Visitors Never Get Tired Of It
As you go up the Mt. Takao cable car, you can see historic scenes of Yakuo-in Temple, a monkey park with Japanese monkeys, a botanical garden with about 300 species of mountain plants and hiking paths designed for nature studies, so you will never be bored at Mt. Takao.
- Programs at the Mt. Takao Visitors Center
At the peak of Mt. Takao, there is the Mt. Takao Visitors Center, where you will find hiking maps in English, as well as staff members capable of guidance in English (guided walks).
- By train:
- Shinjuku Station - Takaosanguchi Station; about 1 hour
- Hachioji City
- The Keio Railway offers discount tickets to Mt. Takao, etc. on its home page, and there are guide boards in four languages in front of the Takosanguchi Station.
- At the Takaotozan Dentetsu Co. (Mt. Takao Railway Co.), there are guidance boards located at the ticket gates and sales counters in four languages.
- A hiking map (English) covering the region around Hachioji City and Mt Takao and a tourist pamphlet (English) of Hachioji City and Mt Takao are available at the guidance counter, etc. at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office Building.