Kyoo-Gokoku-ji, located near Kyoto Station, is a temple of the Shingon Mikkyo sect of Buddhism. This temple was established in the 8th century. Located in the temple precinct are many buildings, including the five-storied pagoda, which is 53 m tall and a symbol of this temple. The treasury contains many National Treasures and cultural properties. Although the temple has been destroyed by fire and restored many times, the layout of this temple, whereby the buildings — including the Nandai-mon (gate) at the entranceway, the Kon-do in which the priests read the Buddhist scriptures, and the Jiki-do where they have their meals — are arranged in a straight line, just as they were at the time that the temple was first established. In the building where the Buddhist scriptures are read is a row of 21 standing Mandala images. Since the high priest Kobo Daishi (Kukai), who was the founder of To-ji, died on the 21st day of the month, a Buddhist memorial service for the dead (called a “hoyo”) is performed here on the 21st of every month. Held on the same day in the temple precinct is the Kobo-ichi, a marketplace that has a history of almost 500 years. Used items and clothing are sold at this outdoor market.
- 1 Kujo-cho, Minami-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
- Admission Fee
- 500 yen (regular fee)
- [Rail]Kintetsu Kyoto Station/Kintetsu Kyoto Line/2 min./Toji Station/On foot/5 min.[Walk]JR Kyoto Station/On foot/15 min.
- Kyoto Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Kyoto Tourist Information Center
- Daimonji Gozan Okuribi Festivals & Ceremonies Daimonji Gozan Okuribi
- Kyoto station tourist information center Tourist Information Offices Kyoto station tourist information center
- kotochika kyoto station Tourist information center Tourist Information Offices kotochika kyoto station Tourist information center
- To-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches To-ji Temple
- Kyosendo Handicrafts Kyosendo
- Toh-shiya (Archery Contest) Festivals & Ceremonies Toh-shiya (Archery Contest)
- Kyoto Aquarium Zoological & Botanical Gardens, Aquariums Kyoto Aquarium