Koryu-ji is ancient temple that was established in the first part of the 7th century. The temple houses ancient Buddhist statues, including the Miroku-Bosatsu-zo (a Bodhisattva who is supposed to appear in the future world as the successor of the Buddha) which was the first designated National Treasure. The Ko-do, the hall in which the priests read the Buddhist scriptures, is from the 12th century, while other structures were rebuilt in the 17th century. The Ko-do, which is the oldest building of this temple, has beautiful vermilion pillars. It is designated by the national government as an Important Cultural Property. Enshrined in this building is the seated figure of the Amida-Nyorai Buddha, who presides over paradise. This Amida-Nyorai Buddha is a National Treasure. Next to this are a Buddha who is believed to save people from suffering after the death of the Buddha, a seated figure of the Jizo-Bosatsu (the loftiest Buddha of the Mikkyo sect), the Buddha who stays at the side of the Dainichi-Nyorai Buddha, and a seated figure of the Kokuzo-Bosatsu. All of these are designated by the national government as Important Cultural Properties. Housed in the Reiho-den, a hall containing treasures of the temple precinct, are many ancient Buddhist images, including the Miroku-Bosatsu, paintings, writings, and ancient documents, all of which are designated as either National Treasures or cultural properties.
- 32 Uzumasa-hachioka-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
- Admission Fee
- Reiho-den (Treasury Hall): 700 yen (regular fee) Keigu-in Hondo (Main Hall): 200 yen
- Keigu-in Hondo
Open: Sundays and holidays in Apr./May/Oct./Nov.
- [Bus]JR Kyoto Stn./Bus/25-min. ride/Uzumasa-Koryuji-mae Stop/3-min. walk
- Orinasukan Museums Orinasukan
- Toei Kyoto Studio Park Theme Parks Toei Kyoto Studio Park
- Ryoan-ji Hojo Temple Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Ryoan-ji Hojo Temple Garden
- Myoshin-ji Temple/Taizo-in Temple/Keishun-in Temple/Daishin-in Temple Japanese Gardens & Parks Myoshin-ji Temple/Taizo-in Temple/Keishun-in Temple/Daishin-in Temple
- Kinkaku-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Kinkaku-ji Temple
- Ninna-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Ninna-ji Temple
- Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine
- Kyoto Furitsu Domoto-Insho Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Kyoto Furitsu Domoto-Insho Bijutsukan (Art Museum)