Precipices curved by sea waves are artworks of nature
Onigajo is a landscace along a coast facing Kumanonada. Caves of various sizes and strange rocks curved by the waves of the sea over many years look like contemporary artworks. The path to the top of a hill is lined with cherry trees that turn the place pink in spring.
The name “Onigajo (Demon castle)” originates from a legend that Sakanoue Tamuramaro (a military commander: 758-811) concoured pirates feared as “Demons.” The place used to be called “Oni-no-iwaya” but Arima Tadachika who governed Kumano during the Muromachi Period (1336-1573) built a castle here and named it Onigajo, which is the origine of the current name. Today there is a castle ruin on the top of the hill.
The place was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage site as part of “Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range” in 2004. Walking a hyking cource across the area, you can fully enjoy the landscape of the sea and mountain with ancient atmosphere.
- Kinomoto-cho, Kumano, Mie
- 059-224-5904(Mie Prefectural Tourism Association)