Learn the history of Sendai at its historic site in lush greenery
Sendai City Museum was opened at the ruin of Sendai Castle San-no-maru to preserve, exhibit and study the materials donated by the Date family, once the lord of the castle. The current building was reconstructed in 1986. The museum has the total floor area of 10,800 square meters. It houses about 90,000 materials of history, culture, and arts and crafts related to the Sendai Domain centering on the Edo period including the donated materials.
The permanent exhibition was renewed and made its opening in April, 2010. While the exhibition is changed with the seasons, more than 1,000 materials are always exhibited so that visitors can find something new no matter how many times they visit the museum. It also houses the samurai armors and helmets of the successive domain lords, and the museum is popular among history lovers.
The special exhibitions are held on various themes from home and abroad. There are many lectures and events, and the entire family can enjoy the contents.
Sendai Castle was built by Date Masamune over 400 years ago and it was a symbolic site of the Miyagi region. Now, there is Aobayama Park at the site. Only the stone walls between Hon-maru (the main part of the castle) and San-no-maru (the 3rd outer ward of the castle), and the earthwork and the moat of San-no-maru show signs that there had been the castle. Visitors can look over lush Sendai City and, in the distance, Sendai Bay from the spot in Hon-maru where the statue of Date Masamune on a war-horse stands.
- 26, Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- 9:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. (Last admission 4:15 p.m.)
- Admission Fee
- 400 yen
- Monday (Open if it falls on a national holiday), the day after a national holiday(Open if it falls on Saturday, Sunday and a national holiday), and December 28 - January 4
- From Tokyo:[Rail]About 2 hours by JR Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Sendai Station, about 10-min by Sendai City Bus from Sendai Station to Museum/International center, about 3-min walk from Museum/International center
[Rail] About 2 hours by JR Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Sendai Station, about 10-min by Sendai City Bus from Sendai Station to Museum/International center, about 3-min walk from Museum/International center
- Sendai Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Sendai Tourist Information Center
- Sendai International Center Koryu Corner Tourist Information Offices Sendai International Center Koryu Corner
- Aoba-dori Street Cityscapes Aoba-dori Street
- Sendai Tanabata Matsuri Festivals & Ceremonies Sendai Tanabata Matsuri
- Osaki Hachiman-gu Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Osaki Hachiman-gu Shrine