Museums studying and preserving the history and culture of Okinawa and cultivating new art and culture
Okinawa Prefectural Museum & Art Museum was opened in Omoromachi, Naha as a cultural-art complex in 2007. The cultural museum was once in Shuri and moved to the new site doubling in size. The art museum is the first prefectural art museum in Okinawa.
The cultural museum mainly intends to research, study, collect, preserve and to exhibit the materials related to the nature, history, folklore culture and arts and crafts of Okinawa. The permanent exhibition consists of “general exhibition” and “sub exhibition.” Visitors approach to the general exhibition room as if they are coming ashore to an island looking at the extended coral reefs in “Ino (lagoon)” at their feet. Visitors can learn about life with nature on the islands of Okinawa with the large-scale diorama. At the sub exhibition, the collection of materials is displayed by the following categories: natural history, archeology, arts and crafts, history and folklore culture.
Centering on the works by the artists related to Okinawa, the art museum focuses on making a collection of works of modern and contemporary art from two-dimensional art to three-dimensional art as well as image art.
Okinawa is a region which has very unique history and culture. If you want to learn about Okinawa, it is recommended to first visit Okinawa Prefectural Museum & Art Museum.
- 3-1-1, Omoromachi,, Naha-shi, Okinawa
- 9:00 - 18:00 (week day) 9:00 - 20:00 (Fridays and Saturdays)
*Final Admission 30 minutes before closing.
- Admission Fee
- The Permanent Exhibition <Museum> ：400 yen、<Art Museum>：300yen
- Every Monday; However, if Monday is a National Holiday, the day after a National Holiday, or Okinawa Memorial Day, the museum will be open, but will close the following Tuesday instead. New years holidays (December 29th to January 3rd)
- [Rail]Monorail: Get off at Omoromachi Station, and then walk 10-min[Bus]Get off at Kenritsu Hakubutsukan-mae Station and then walk 1-min
- Naha Airport Visitor Information Center Tourist Information Offices Naha Airport Visitor Information Center
- Earthtrip Okinawa Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Earthtrip Okinawa Tourist Information Center
- Naha City Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Naha City Tourist Information
- TISCO Okinawa Tourist Information Offices TISCO Okinawa
- Shuri Castle Castles Shuri Castle
- Shurei-mon Gate Historical Architectures Shurei-mon Gate
- DFS Galleria Okinawa Places for Shopping DFS Galleria Okinawa