Observation of a star-sprinkled sky in a planetarium with the largest dome in the world, an experience nurturing interest in astronomy
Nagoya City Science Museum is on the grounds of Shirakawa Park, Nagoya City. It is well known for the planetarium with a dome registered as the world’s largest in the Guinness Book of Records. The museum has three buildings: Science and Technology Building, with an observatory on the 7th floor, Astronomy Building, with the planetarium, and Life Science Building, with exhibits on life, living, and earth. The museum holds a permanent exhibition, temporary exhibitions, and participatory practices and experiments that are all useful for the study of science and physics.
The planetarium uses UNIVERSARIUM Model IX, which reproduces the real starlit sky almost as is. The program includes spectacular images and sounds (guidance is given only in Japanese). There is a separate program called Family Hour for small children.
There are also participatory events, such as experience of manufacturing and lessons on weekends and national holidays. Visitors can make and play with toys based on astronomic and scientific knowledge under the instruction of experts (a fee for some programs is charged separately, and a reservation on the same day is necessary). Among exhibits and experiment programs, experiencing the extremely cold air of – 30 degree as well as the laboratory to observe phenomena such as large tornadoes and lightning discharges are popular among visitors. Why don’t you stimulate your kids’ interest in science through dynamic experiments?
- 2-17-1 Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya City, Aichi
- 9:30 to 17:00 (admission until 16:30)
- Admission Fee
- 800 yen (adults), 500 yen (university and high school students), free (junior high school students and younger)
- Mondays (the following day when Monday is a national holiday), every third Friday (the following Friday when the third Friday is a national holiday), from December 29 to January 3
- The Nagoya International Center Information Services Tourist Information Offices The Nagoya International Center Information Services
- Kanayama Tourist Informaition Center Tourist Information Offices Kanayama Tourist Informaition Center
- Oasis21 i Center Tourist Information Offices Oasis21 i Center
- Nagoya Station Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Nagoya Station Tourist Information Center
- The Tokugawa Art Museum Museums The Tokugawa Art Museum
- Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology Industrial Tourism Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology
- Noritake Garden Industrial Tourism Noritake Garden
- SCMAGLEV and Railway Park Museums SCMAGLEV and Railway Park