Interpret the world of Yukio Mishima, a leading Japanese author
Yukio Mishima is a leading Japanese postwar author and playwright. Some of his well-known works are: Kamen no Kokuhaku (Confessions of a Mask), an autobiographical novel about experiences of “I” being a homosexual; Kinkakuji (The Temple of the Golden Pavilion), a fictionalization of the Kinkaku-ji Temple arson and Hojo no Umi (The Sea of Fertility), a four-volume epic of his later life based on dreams and reincarnation. Aestheticism characterizes his works.
On November 25, 1970, he and four members of his group barricaded in an office of the Self-Defense Forces to launch a coup d’ tat demanding a constitutional amendment. And then, he committed seppuku and died. He was 45 years old. This coup d’ tat attempt called “Mishima Jiken (a case of Mishima)” rippled across various sectors.
In 1999, Mishima Yukio Literary Museum was opened in lush greenery of “Yamanakako Bungaku no Mori Koen.” His books, autograph manuscripts, idea / research notes, paintings, documents on plays / movies and his books in other languages are exhibited. It also serves as an office for studying and promoting his works. Most of the materials are donated in a lump by the family of Mishima. Visitors can profoundly understand Yukio Mishima’s spirit as well as his works and life.
His study room and the statue of Apollo in Mishima’s garden were also recreated. The museum also has a reading room and a facility for seminars and lectures. Visitors can take plenty of time to soak up the world of the Mishima literature.
- 506-296, Hirano, Yamanakako-mura, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi
- 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Last admission 4:00 p.m.)
- Admission Fee
- 500 yen
- Monday (Closed the next day when Monday falls on a national holiday)
December 29 - January 3, Days for material inspection (Not regularly)
- [Rail]About 15-min by JR Chuo Line from Tokyo Station to Shinjuku Station, about 1 hour by JR Chuo Line limited express from Shinjuku Station to Otsuki Station, 50-min by Fuji Kyuko Line from Otsuki Station to Fujisan Station,25-min by Fujikyu city bus from Fujisan Station to Yamanakako
- YAMANAKAKO Informetion Center Tourist Information Offices YAMANAKAKO Informetion Center
- Fujiyoshida Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Fujiyoshida Tourist Information Center
- Chuo Expressway Dangozaka Service Area East Bound Area Concierge Tourist Information Offices Chuo Expressway Dangozaka Service Area East Bound Area Concierge
- Chuo Express EXPASA Dangozaka West Bound Area Concierge Tourist Information Offices Chuo Express EXPASA Dangozaka West Bound Area Concierge
- Yamanashi Prefectural Fuji Visitor Center Tourist Information Offices Yamanashi Prefectural Fuji Visitor Center
- Mt.Fuji information Tourist Information Offices Mt.Fuji information
- Fujikawaguchiko Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Fujikawaguchiko Tourist Information
- Fuji-Q Highland Theme Parks Fuji-Q Highland