Dolls so detailed and made with old cotton fabric vividly depict Japanese nostalgia
Yuki Atae is a doll maker born in 1937.
He was 8 years old when the war was ended. He grew up seeing people who strived to live in devastation and poverty. He continues to make dolls with his strong wish that is: “I want to portray how life was back then, which is still in my memory, in the shape of dolls with my love for those days.” Many of his dolls are modeled on children of those days and their everyday life. The dolls depict nostalgic feeling with the liveliness of expression and action.
All dolls are made with old cotton fabric and it seems like as if they are alive with their soft-looking skin texture. He makes all the kimonos and little objects by himself as well. His exhibition was also held in New York, Paris and in other overseas cities and gained a good reputation.
Kawaguchiko Musekan was opened in 1993 in Yagizaki Park by Lake Kawaguchi at the foot of Mt. Fuji. There are 3 exhibition rooms, a shop and a tearoom in a one-story building. In mid-July, when all the lavenders come to full bloom, the museum is surrounded by mild fragrance and lavender color.
2 rooms are designated for the permanent exhibition and the other one is for the special exhibition. Around 80 dolls by Yuki Atae are displayed at the permanent exhibition.
In the area, there are a variety of tourist attractions centering on Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi. Enjoy Japan’s natural beauty together with the world of Yuki Atae’s dolls.
- Inside the Yagisaki Park, 923, Kodachi, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Yamanashi
- 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Last admission 4:30 p.m.)
- Admission Fee
- 600 yen
- Thursday and during the re-installation(No closed days from June through August)
- From Tokyo:[Rail]About 1 hour by JR limited express from Shinjuku Station to Otsuki Station, about 1 hour by Fujikyuko Railway from Otsuki Station to Kawaguchiko Station, about 12-min by Fujikyu Retro Bus from Kawaguchiko Station to the entrance of Kawaguchiko Musekan
[Rail] About 1 hour by JR limited express from Shinjuku Station to Otsuki Station, about 1 hour by Fujikyuko Railway from Otsuki Station to Kawaguchiko Station, about 12-min by Fujikyu Retro Bus from Kawaguchiko Station to the entrance of Kawaguchiko Musekan
- YAMANAKAKO Informetion Center Tourist Information Offices YAMANAKAKO Informetion Center
- Fujiyoshida Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Fujiyoshida Tourist Information Center
- Chuo Expressway Dangozaka Service Area East Bound Area Concierge Tourist Information Offices Chuo Expressway Dangozaka Service Area East Bound Area Concierge
- Chuo Express EXPASA Dangozaka West Bound Area Concierge Tourist Information Offices Chuo Express EXPASA Dangozaka West Bound Area Concierge
- Yamanashi Prefectural Fuji Visitor Center Tourist Information Offices Yamanashi Prefectural Fuji Visitor Center
- Mt.Fuji information Tourist Information Offices Mt.Fuji information
- Fujikawaguchiko Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Fujikawaguchiko Tourist Information
- Fuji-Q Highland Theme Parks Fuji-Q Highland