A great collection of modern Japanese paintings, ceramics, and sculptures.
The Adachi Museum of Art was established in 1970, based on the private collection of Zenko Adachi, a businessman born in Yasugi city, Shimane. Works collected include Japanese paintings by famous painters such as Taikan Yokoyama, Shiho Sakakibara and Shunso Hishida. The ceramics collection includes works by such masters as Rosanjin Kitaoji and Kanjiro Kawai.
The museum’s gardens are also famous. A true lover of gardens, Adachi collected each of the pines and stones for the garden himself from around the country, creating a beautiful garden filled with his own passion. The six gardens, including the Karesansui Garden, the Garden of White Sand and Green Pine, the Moss Garden and the Pond Garden, are, as Adachi said, “as beautiful as pictures,” and have been selected as the best garden in Japan for four years running since 2003, by the Journal of Japanese Gardenings Shiosai Ranking.’
- 320 Furukawa-cho, Yasugi-shi, Shimane
- Admission Fee
- 2,200 yen
- Open throughout the year
- [Bus]JR Yashuki Stn./Bus/20-min. ride/Saginoyu-onsen mae Stop/3-min. walk.
- Matsue International Tourist Information Office Tourist Information Offices Matsue International Tourist Information Office
- Matsue Castle Castles Matsue Castle
- Shiomi-nawate Street Historic Towns Shiomi-nawate Street
- Shimane Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Shimane Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum)