The oldest hot spa resort in the Hokuriku Region is also famous as a lovers' sanctuary.
Awazu Onsen is a hot spring with the longest history in the Hokuriku Region, discovered in the Nara Period (710-794), more than 1300 years ago. The hot spring has its source in Mount Haku, which is one of Japan’s three holy mountains, in the district’s east. It contains abundant natural active ingredients and has been attracting many people from ancient times. Although it is a small resort with few more than ten inns, each inn drills its own source for its spring. Houshi, the longest-standing inn, is recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest hot spring inn.
The characteristic boushousen (or sulfate spring) has an especially high vasodilating effect, and it is said to work on arterial sclerosis stemming from blood circulation and neuralgia. You can feel the slight acidity and salty flavor in your mouth, and you can also expect to gain a healthy effect by drinking the water.
A legend of young lovers called “Osshobe Love Story” passed down from old times in Awazu Onsen. Osshobe Falls, where the lovers apparently had a date, and a temple where they made a vow to love one another are becoming tourist destinations. Thus, Awazu Onsen is recognized as a “Lovers’ sanctuary.”
- Iguchi Town, Komatsu City, Ishikawa
- Kaga City Tourist Information Center KAGA TABI･MACHI NET Tourist Information Offices Kaga City Tourist Information Center KAGA TABI･MACHI NET
- Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Inbound) Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Inbound)
- Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound) Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound)
- Yamanaka lacquerware Look for Traditional Crafts Yamanaka lacquerware
- Kutani ware Look for Traditional Crafts Kutani ware
- Katayamazu-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Katayamazu-onsen Hot Spring
- Yamanaka-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Yamanaka-onsen Hot Spring
- Yamashiro-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Yamashiro-onsen Hot Spring