In Arashiyama, which is a very popular tourist site in Kyoto, nature and temples make up beautiful scenery in each season
Arashiyama is located in the northwestern area of Kyoto City, and is a popular area that most people who visit Kyoto for sightseeing go to. The biggest reason for its popularity is the beautiful scenery that changes expressions with the seasons-spring, summer, fall, and winter. Most people who visit Arashiyama also visit Sagano on path consisting of a bamboo grove. There are many temples and notable sites relating to history and literature, including Tenryuji Temple, which is a World Cultural Heritage Site, in Arashiyama and Sagano. It is an area full of atmosphere.
Togetsukyo (moon crossing) Bridge provides a panoramic view of Arashiyama. At the beginning, it was called “Horinji Bridge” as it led to Horinji Temple. However, the name was changed to “Togetsukyo Bridge” because Emperor Kameyama in the Heian Period (794-1185) said that “It looks like the moon is crossing the bridge.” In addition, the name of the river flowing under Togetsukyo Bridge changes depending on the location. It is called Oigawa River in the upper course, Hozugawa River in the middle course, and Katsuragawa River in the lower course. The Heian aristocrats custom of elegant boating, away from their sheltered royal world, has continued up to the present day, and you can enjoy a beautiful gorge on the Hozugawa River Boat Ride. In addition, if you ride a trolley train that runs along the river, you can more closely feel the nature of Arashiyama, which looks different throughout the year.
- Arashiyama-Higashi-Ichikawa-Cho, Nisikyo-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto
- 075-222-4130 (MICE Promotion Office , City of Kyoto and Kyoto Convention & Visitors Bureau)
- Seiryo-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Seiryo-ji Temple
- Nison-in Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Nison-in Temple
- Adashi-no-Nenbutsu Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Adashi-no-Nenbutsu Temple
- Togetsu-kyo Bridge Bridges, Historic Towns Togetsu-kyo Bridge
- Mifune Matsuri Festivals & Ceremonies Mifune Matsuri
- Kozan-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Kozan-ji Temple
- Jojakko-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Jojakko-ji Temple
- Daikaku-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Daikaku-ji Temple