Hemp fabrics have been a popular product of Tokamachi in Niigata Prefecture from early times. In more recent times Tokamachi-gasuri and Akashi-chijimi silk textiles have utilized these traditional techniques. Kasuri-ori (a splashed pattern textile) fabric is made by dyeing yarn which is then woven to create geometrical patterns. Nowadays textiles are produced mainly for garments, and Tokamachi-gasuri retains distinctive patterns designed to fuse a modern look with traditional beauty. Tokamachi-gasuri was designated a traditional craft in 1982.
- Tokamachi-shi, Niigata
- Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association Tourist Information Offices Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association
- Area Information Center Tourist Information Offices Area Information Center
- Tokamachi Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Tokamachi Tourist Information
- Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum Museums Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum
- Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen Hot Spring
- Shiozawa Tsumugi spinning/Hon-Shiozawa Shiozawa Tsumugi spinning/Hon-Shiozawa