Summer Sonic started in 2000 and is one of best rock festivals in Japan sharing equal popularity with the Fuji Rock Festival. Summer Sonic is an urban-type festival held at both Makuhari (Chiba) and Maishima (Osaka) at the same time over 2 days. A wonderful feature of this festival is that all performing artists are shuttled between the 2 venues.
A group of multiple stages including the venues at stadium level capable of holding a massive audience is situated within a relatively small area compared with other outdoor festivals, so moving between venues is easy. If the schedule allows, you can watch your favorite artists perform in quick succession. Both days have a finale with a spectacular fireworks display following the last stage performance.
- A few minutes walk from Kaihin Makuhari Station on the JR Line
- Chiba Marine Stadium and Makuhari Messe
- Saturday and Sunday on the 2nd week in August every year (2 consecutive days)
- Chiba City Makuhari Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Chiba City Makuhari Tourist Information Center
- Chiba City Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Chiba City Tourist Information Center
- Makuhari Messe Commercial Complexes & Observation Towers Makuhari Messe
- Chiba Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Chiba Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum)
- Makuhari Industrial Districts Makuhari