Okayama Castle

Okayama, Chugoku

The planks of the Okayama Castle (Okayama-jo) donjon are stained black, which gives the castle its alias: Raven Castle. It was built in the latter half of the 16th century by the daimyo Ukita Naoie and his son Hideie. Accounts of the year when the castle was completed say that it was either 1589 or 1597. It became the castle of the Ikeda family, who governed this region from the beginning of the 17th century.The donjon was destroyed by fire in the air raids of WWII in 1945. Buildings such as the Moon Viewing Turret give us an image of what it must have been like when it was built, and this has been designated one of Japan’s Important Cultural Properties. The present donjon was rebuilt in 1965. It is a three-tiered, six-storied, ferroconcrete structure which houses a reference museum and an observation room.’


2-chome Marunouchi, Okayama-shi, Okayama
Admission Fee
300 yen (Permanent exhibition)
Dec. 29-31
[Rail]JR Okayama Station/Okayama Denki kido Higashiyama Line/7 min./Shiroshita Station/On foot/5 min.

What's Nearby?