Maruoka Castle (Maruoka-jo) was built in 1576 by the daimyo Shibata Katsutoyo. At first it changed hands often due to war, and then it became the castle to the Arima daimyo from the latter half of the 17th century. Although it was completely destroyed in the great earthquake of 1948, it was reconstructed in 1955. The two-tiered, three-storied donjon was built devoid of decoration in preparation for actual war, and has been designated one of Japans Important Cultural Properties and also is considered a valuable part of the history of architecture.’
- 1-59 Kasumi Maruoka-cho, Sakai-shi, Fukui
- Admission Fee
- 300 yen
- Open throughout the year
- [Bus]JR Fukui Station/Bus/40 min./Maruokajo Bus Stop/On foot/2 min.