"YA-NE-SEN" where early 20th century culture still lingers. A popular area among foreign visitors to enjoy the traditional Japanese atmosphere full of local color.
This area is popular among those who fancy a leisurely stroll through the folksy streets of Tokyo. The name "YA-NE-SEN" comes from the first letters of each neighborhood; Yanaka, Nezu and Sendagi. The area escaped damage from the bombing in World War II, so a sense of early 20th century culture still lingers there. The area is also characterized by many uniquely named hills and narrow alleyways.
Around the vast Yanaka Cemetery Park, famous for its beautiful cherry blossoms, there stand as many as 70 temples. A flower festival attended by many tourists is held at Nezu-jinja Shrine in April and May, when its 3,000 azaleas come into blossom. There are also many galleries in the area, including those in unique buildings such as the Asakura Chosokan, which used to be the studio of a famous sculptor, the modern art gallery SCAI THE BATHHOUSE, which was built in a renovated public bathhouse, and the Space Oguraya art gallery, which used to be a pawnshop. Many craftspeople who are keeping traditional techniques alive also reside in this area.
Hongo is another neighborhood in the area that offers historical charm. You can get there on foot from Nezu. The prestigious University of Tokyo, one of the most highly regarded educational institutions in Japan, stands in this neighborhood, and some of the shops in the area have been around for over 100 years. There are also many Japanese-style 'ryokan' inns in the area that offer a warm welcome to foreign visitors, so be sure to keep an eye open for them.
[Rail] 1h from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station by JR Narita Express Line.
[Air] 1h from Itami or 1h 10 min from Kansai International Airport to Haneda Airport.
[Rail] 2h 30 min from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line (Nozomi).
[Rail] From Tokyo to Ochanomizu Station by JR Chuo Line, or to Nishi-Nippori Station by JR Yamanote Line. From Ochanomizu to Nezu or Sendagi Stations by Tokyo Metro Chiyoda-Line.
Around the Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagi/Hongo Area
- Nezu-jinja Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Nezu-jinja Shrine
- Tokyo Wonder Site hongo Museums Tokyo Wonder Site hongo
- The University of Tokyo Historical Architectures The University of Tokyo
- Kyu-Furukawa-teien Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Kyu-Furukawa-teien Garden
- Rikugien Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Rikugien Garden
More on the Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagi/Hongo Area
- SCAI THE BATHHOUSE SCAI THE BATHHOUSE
- Golden Route: Tour of Yanaka and Japanese Tradition Golden Route: Tour of Yanaka and Japanese Tradition
- Great Opportunities for Sightseeing on Foot, within a Day's Travel from Tokyo Great Opportunities for Sightseeing on Foot, within a Day's Travel from Tokyo
- Experience the beauty of autumn in Japan Experience the beauty of autumn in Japan