Harajuku is a cultural heaven for Tokyo's youth, and the streets in Aoyama and Omotesando have a distinct European feel to them.
Harajuku is a collective term for the area that stretches from the south of the Sendagaya area to Jingumae-machi. On the west side of JR Harajuku Station is Meiji-jingu Shrine, located in a forest, it is famous for its Japanese iris garden where irises bloom in profusion during the rainy season, and a treasury hall that stores articles that belonged to Emperor Meiji, the highly cherished emperor of the late 19th century. Near Meiji-jingu Shrine is NHK Broadcasting Center, where visitors can take a tour through the TV program studios and view various exhibits.
East of Harajuku Station lies Takeshita-dori Street, known throughout Japan as a popular hangout for 13- to 15-year-olds. Fashion designers began to set up their offices and studios along Omotesando Avenue and the adjacent Aoyama Street after the Tokyo Olympics, held in 1964. Since then, more and more fashion stores for adults, and fashionable coffee shops and restaurants have been built in this area.
Particularly in recent years, a number of new stores have opened, such as the fashion building Omotesando Hills and famous brand name stores from around the world. Those stores offer customers the very best in shopping and dining experience, in a stylish environment imbued with fashon, arts and culture.
A stroll down Omotesando Street,lined with elegant boutiques and restaurants, will take you to the Omotesando Station.
[Rail] 1h from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station by JR Narita Express Line.
[Air] 1h from Itami or 1h 10 min from Kansai International Airport to Haneda Airport.
[Rail] 2h 30 min from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line (Nozomi), and 25 min from Tokyo to Harajuku Station by JR Yamanote Line.
Around the Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area
More on the Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area
- Golden Route: Tour of Yanaka and Japanese Tradition Golden Route: Tour of Yanaka and Japanese Tradition
- Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:Forests of Japan's Holy Heartland Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:Forests of Japan's Holy Heartland
- Tokyo Street Fashion Tokyo Street Fashion
- 2013 hot shopping centers in Japan 2013 hot shopping centers in Japan
- Hot places to shop in the year-end and New Year holidays Hot places to shop in the year-end and New Year holidays
- Find Accommodations in the Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area
- Search for accommodations in the Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area at Japan Hotel & Ryokan Search.
- Find Restaurants in the Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area
- Search for restaurants in the Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area at Japan Restaurant Search.