A truly historic town embraced by mountains, with a dramatic landscape of precipitous cliffs and beautiful rock beds.
Located within Chichibu-Tama National Park in western Saitama, Chichibu City developed as a trading center for silk fabrics around Chichibu-jinja Shrine. Chichibu-jinja Shrine is said to have been built more than 2,000 years ago. At the Chichibu-yomatsuri Night Festival held every winter here, light from numerous lanterns hung from the floats and thousands of firework displays casts beautiful colors against the night sky. The Chichibu 34 Kan'non Sanctuary is one of the 100 sacred Kan'non temples in Japan, and the pilgrimage path is 100 kilometers long from the 1st temple, Simabu-ji Temple, to the 34th, Suisen-ji Temple.
The entire town of Nagatoro north of Chichibu has been designated a prefectural nature park, and the Ara-kawa River runs through the center of the town. There is a natural monument, a 5-kilometer-long rock bed along the river bank near the railway station. This rock bed dates from the earliest period of Earth's history. You can appreciate the beauty of the Nagatoro gorge from a riverboat. A boater steers a small boat with a pole and takes you down the Ara-kawa River, which has varying rapid and slow currents. You can enjoy the views of the rock beds and precipitous cliffs called Chichibu-Sekiheki, or the red walls of Chichibu.
[Rail] 24 min from Tokyo to Ikebukuro Station by JR Yamanote Line, and 1h 18 min from Ikebukuro to Seibu Chichibu Station by Seibu Ikebukuro Line. 7 min walk from Seibu Chichibu to Ohanabatake station and 26 min from Ohanabatake to Nagatoro Station by Chichibu Line.
Around the Chichibu Area
More on the Chichibu Area
- Saitama - SainoKuni Sightseeing Guide Saitama - SainoKuni Sightseeing Guide
- Nagatoromachi Tourist Association Nagatoromachi Tourist Association
- Chichibu-Tama-Kai National Park Chichibu-Tama-Kai National Park
- Chichibu & Oku-tama Chichibu & Oku-tama
- Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:MATSURI Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:MATSURI
- Chichibu Yomatsuri (Chichibu Night Festival) Chichibu Yomatsuri (Chichibu Night Festival)