Osaka Castle with its huge lawn park. The bustling Umeda Underground Mall and Namba are also main attractions.
Osaka prefecture located in the center of Kinki region in the Midwest Japan covers the smallest prefecture land area in Japan, but boasts of largest population and highest population density second only after the capital, Tokyo. Mountains surround three sides of the prefecture and the west faces the arc-shaped Osaka Bay. Since it is close to former capitals of Japan Kyoto and Nara, it prospered as an important point for land and water transportation as well as a commercial city.
In the Osaka City is the Osaka Castle with a five-layer donjon as its core, on a lawn park that stretches for about 60,000 square meters. During the cherry blossom season in the spring, this park is especially crowded with hanami (cherry blossom viewing) crowd. Osaka's north gate, Umeda, has a gigantic stretch of underground mall that houses many restaurants, fashion and sundry goods stores.
In contrast to Kita with Umeda as its core, Minami is an area with core cities Namba, a popular business and shopping district, and Dotonbori with many restaurants on both sides of Dotonbori-gawa River. Minami is known as a town of public entertainment and has many theaters and cinemas.
Tenpo-zan Harbor Village, which has a 112.5 meter-high Ferris wheel, shopping mall and Kaiyukan Aquarium, one of the biggest aquarium in the world, and ATC(Asia Pacific Trade Center), Japan's largest outlet mall, are also popular.
About 2 hours 30 minutes from Tokyo Station to Shin Osaka Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line.
About 50 min from Nagoya Station to Shin Osaka Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line.
Things to Do
Osaka's Cities & Regions
- Kita Area Kita Area
- Nakanoshima Area Nakanoshima Area
- Osaka Castle Area Osaka Castle Area
- Shinsaibashi Area Shinsaibashi Area
- Dotonbori Area Dotonbori Area
- Namba Area Namba Area
- Tennoji / Abeno Area Tennoji / Abeno Area
- Southern Osaka City Southern Osaka City
- Northern Osaka City Northern Osaka City
- Bay Area Bay Area
- Senshu Area Senshu Area
More on Osaka Pref.
- Osaka-info Osaka-info
- Kansai Window Kansai Window
- Things to do in Osaka Things to do in Osaka
- Golden Route:Departure from Osaka Golden Route:Departure from Osaka
- Osaka [PDF] Osaka [PDF]
- Osaka castle Osaka castle
- Spa World Spa World
- The Instant Ramen Museum The Instant Ramen Museum
- Tenjin Matsuri Tenjin Matsuri