Especially popular for outdoor sports like skiing and hiking, this hot spring resort area is surrounded by mountains.
Echigo-Yuzawa is located in the southernmost part of Niigata adjacent to Nagano and Gunma. This is a historic hot spring resort area, which appears in the well-known novel "The Snow Country" written by Nobel Prize winner Yasunari Kawabata. Echigo-Yuzawa also has good transportation services, particularly from the Tokyo area, so it attracts a lot of people for skiing in winter and for hiking and camping in summer.
At the Echigo Sake (rice wine) Museum inside Echigo-Yuzawa Station, you can enjoy bathing in the sake spa. Around the station you will find museums such as the Shiro Shirahata Photo Museum, which has around 170 landscapes of world-famous mountains, and the Yuzawa Folklore History Museum.
By taking the Yuzawa-onsen ropeway from Sanroku Station (at the foot of the mountain), you can go up to 1,000 meters above sea level. Around the Sancho Station (at the top of the mountain), there is Alp-no-sato, the alpine flower park, where you can enjoy mizubasho (skunk cabbages) in the spring, nikkokisuge (a kind of yellow lily) in summer, and the autumn leaves of Japanese larch trees in fall. Also, Echigo-Yuzawa is covered in snow in winter and attracts many skiers.
[Rail] 1h 10 min to Echigo-Yuzawa Station by JR Joetsu Shinkansen Line.
[Rail] 3h 40 min from Shin-Osaka Station via Tokyo to Echigo-Yuzawa Station by Shinkansen.
Around the Echigo-Yuzawa/Uonuma Area
- Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association Tourist Information Offices Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association
- Area Information Center Tourist Information Offices Area Information Center
- Tokamachi Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Tokamachi Tourist Information
- Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum Museums Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum
- Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen Hot Spring
- Shiozawa Tsumugi spinning/Hon-Shiozawa Shiozawa Tsumugi spinning/Hon-Shiozawa
- Tokamachi Gasuri Learn about Traditional Crafts Tokamachi Gasuri