Near-futuristic urban complex full of vitality, located next to Tokyo. Topographic variety with exquisite mountains, rivers and seas.
Just south of Tokyo, Kanagawa Prefecture is situated in the southwest of the Kanto Plains and fronts on Tokyo Bay and Sagami Bay at the south. In addition to its celebrated standing as an animated district that has led the economy of Japan, Kanagawa boasts topographic variety created by mountains, rivers, and sea, with each locality colored by distinguishing history and climate.
Yokohama, the seat of the prefectural government, has grown as a major gateway of the sea to Japan, as well as the center of administration and economy for the whole prefecture. Yokohama City has the development of Minato Mirai 21 Area under way as a near-futuristic urban complex. In addition to Yokohama, there are other well-known vital cities east of the prefecture, such as Kawasaki, one of the foremost industrial cities in Japan, and Yokosuka, an exotic port town.
What is more, natural abounds in Kanagawa. The Sagami-gawa River, known as "Kanagawa's mother river," runs through the middle of the prefecture. There are many tourist spots of long standing, such as Kamakura, Hakone, a mecca for hot spring lovers, and Odawara, a castle town of a feudal lord. In the south of the prefecture sits the Shonan and Miura-hanto Peninsula area, boasting a beautiful coastline, with the northern part of the Tanzawa Mountains spreading out to the west. Thus, Kanagawa is a multi-faceted prefecture, with everything from abundant nature to a near-futuristic urban complex.
25 min to Yokohama Station by JR Tokaido Line.
2h 15 min from Shin-Osaka to Shin-Yokohama Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line.
Things to Do
Kanagawa's Cities & Regions
- Minato Mirai District 21 Area Minato Mirai District 21 Area
- Motomachi/Yamate Area Motomachi/Yamate Area
- Kannai Area Kannai Area
- Enoshima Island Area Enoshima Island Area
- Kanazawa Area (Kanagawa) Kanazawa Area (Kanagawa)
- Hakone Area Hakone Area
- Central Kamakura Central Kamakura
- Periphery of Kamakura Periphery of Kamakura
- Lake Sagami-ko Area Lake Sagami-ko Area
- Manazuru Area Manazuru Area
- Miura-hanto Peninsula Area Miura-hanto Peninsula Area
- Odawara Area Odawara Area
- Yugawara Area Yugawara Area
- Kawasaki Area Kawasaki Area
- Central Kanagawa Central Kanagawa
- Periphery of Yokohama Periphery of Yokohama
- Yokosuka Area Yokosuka Area
More on Kanagawa Pref.
- Kanagawa Travel Info Kanagawa Travel Info
- Yokohama [PDF] Yokohama [PDF]
- Hakone & Kamakura [PDF] Hakone & Kamakura [PDF]
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- YOKOHAMA HISTORY MUSEUM YOKOHAMA HISTORY MUSEUM
- TOSHIBA SCIENCE MUSEUM TOSHIBA SCIENCE MUSEUM
- Sankeien Garden Sankeien Garden
- Shin Yokohama Ramen Museum Shin Yokohama Ramen Museum
- Yokohama Hakkeijima SEA PARADISE Yokohama Hakkeijima SEA PARADISE