Kagoshima Prefecture covers an area of 600 km from north to south and hosts a number of tourist attractions.
Located on the southern tip of Kyushu, Kagoshima Prefecture extends 600 km from its borders in the north to its boundaries in the south, separate from Okinawa Prefecture. It is blessed with exceptional scenery, of beautiful oceans, mountains, rivers, and is home to many hot springs and diverse, rich nature. There are also many cultural and historical sites. Islands belonging to Kagoshima Prefecture include about 30 islands far to the south, among which is Yakushima Island, an island registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Tokara Islands, a chain of twelve islands of varying in size and stretching over a distance of 162 km, and Amami Oshima, the second largest isolated in Japan.
The Koshikijima Islands, 30 km off the western shore of the Satsuma Peninsula, are famous for wild Japanese lilies. The lilies cover the islands in pink during full bloom after the rainy season. Another popular destination is Tanegashima Island and Uchinoura Town. Tanegashima Islands is especially known for its rocket-launching bases, some of which are among the most technologically advanced gateways to space.
At a closer glance, the landscape of the main prefectural area are volcanic areas like the Kirishima mountain range and active volcano, Sakurajima, and national parks like the Kirishima-Kinkowan National Park (includes Yakushima Islands and Kuchinoerabujima Islands) and the Nichinan Kaigan Quasi-National Park, known for thriving subtropical plants like Livistona, a type of fan palm. The nature and parks in Kagoshima Prefecture range fromo temperate to subtropical.
[Air]1h 50 min. from Haneda Airport to Kagoshima Airport. [Bus] 40 min. from Kagoshima Airport to JR Kagoshima Chuo (Central) Station by bus
[Air]1h 10 min. from Itami Airport to Kagoshima Airport
Things to Do
Kagoshima's Cities & Regions
- Kagoshima Area Kagoshima Area
- Ibusuki Area Ibusuki Area
- Kirishima Area Kirishima Area
- Izumi Area Izumi Area
- Osumi Peninsula Osumi Peninsula
- Tanegashima Island Tanegashima Island
- Yaku-shima Island Area Yaku-shima Island Area
- Amamioshima Island Area Amamioshima Island Area
- Yoron Island Area Yoron Island Area
More on Kagoshima Pref.
- Kagoshima Travel Guide Kagoshima Travel Guide
- KAGOSHIMA Energetic Japan KAGOSHIMA Energetic Japan
- BIRD'S EYE VIEW OF KAGOSHIMA BIRD'S EYE VIEW OF KAGOSHIMA
- Welcome to Kagoshima Welcome to Kagoshima
- Kagoshima & Vicinity [PDF] Kagoshima & Vicinity [PDF]
- Yakushima [PDF] Yakushima [PDF]
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- World Heritage Site in Japan:Yakushima World Heritage Site in Japan:Yakushima