The heart of Kobe’s shopping districts and all forms (land, air and sea) transportations.
Sannomiya, the largest shopping quarter of Kobe, is located on the west bank of Ikuta River. It is not only popular as a place for shopping and dining, but also a very important transportation hub for the various railways; JR Tokaido Honsen Line, Subway Yamate Line, Hanshin, Hankyu, and Port Liner. Santica is Sannomiya’s underground shopping street with over 120 shops ranging from fashion boutiques to restaurants.
Stretched southward from Shin-Kobe Station through Sannomiya Station to the port, Flower Road is decorated with flowers, fountains, sculptures, and luscious trees along both sides of the road. It is also a home to Japan’s first flower clock. The Higashi-yuenchi beside Kobe City Hall used to be an exclusive playground for foreigners and a lot of international sports evolved from Kobe to the whole nation. It also host a famous illumination festival, Luminarie, which is held every winter to commemorate the lost in the 1995 Great Hanshin Awaji Earthquake.
On the southwest direction from the station, the 550 meter long arcade between Flower Road and Motomachi is called, Sannomiya Center Street. One-of-a-kind boutiques, import stores, patisseries, department stores, and an array of restaurants make Sannomiya as the mecca of all shopping districts in Kobe.
From Osaka(Kansai Airport):
[Rail] 1h 5 min to Sannomiya Station (Kobe) by Airport Limousine Bus.
From Osaka(Shin-Osaka Station):
[Rail] 28 min by JR Tokaido Honsen Line to Sannomiya Station.
From Hyogo(Shin-Kobe Station):
[Rail] 2 min by Subway Yamate Line to Sannomiya Station.
[Rail] 2hrs 50 min by JR Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen Line to Shin-Kobe Station.
Around the Central Kobe
- Kobe Information Center Tourist Information Offices Kobe Information Center
- Shinkobe station tourist information center Tourist Information Offices Shinkobe station tourist information center
- Motomachi (Hyogo) Cityscapes Motomachi (Hyogo)
- Weathercock House Historical Architectures Weathercock House
- Kobe Port Tower Cityscapes Kobe Port Tower
- Nankin-machi (China Town) Cityscapes Nankin-machi (China Town)
- Sannomiya Cityscapes Sannomiya
- Kitano-cho Cityscapes Kitano-cho
More on the Central Kobe
- Feel KOBE [Official Kobe Tourism Site] Feel KOBE [Official Kobe Tourism Site]
- Kobe, Himeji & Takarazuka Kobe, Himeji & Takarazuka
- Dining in Kobe, the Western World Within Japan Dining in Kobe, the Western World Within Japan
- The paradise of art in Japan! The paradise of art in Japan!
- Illuminations around Japan in 2012 Illuminations around Japan in 2012