A large clock tower and trendy shopping center. Odori Avenue Park is the location of a magnificent snow festival.
Sapporo in western Hokkaido is divided up in a grid pattern, and is the largest city on the island. Odori Park stretches from east to west in the center of the city, and is a symbol of the city - full of art objects, fountains, lilac and acacia plants and lots of flowerbeds. To the north stand trading companies, financial institutions and local government offices, while to the south is a large underground shopping mall, which as the city's main shopping center is always busy. It is connected directly to Sapporo Station, which is the transportation hub for all of Hokkaido and the place to board JR lines, the subway, and both local and tourist buses.
The city contains many essential sights: the Sapporo Clock Tower, which has been marking time for over a century; the former Hokkaido government office building, a neo-baroque building known as "Red Brick" that is lit up after dark; and the poplars outside Hokkaido University (formerly Hokkaido Agricultural College).
Odori Park is more than 1,400 meters long. In summer it is full of beer gardens, while in winter it becomes the location for a snow festival. During the festival, this big park is lined with magnificent snow statues and beautiful ice statues.
[Air] 1h 30 min from Haneda to New Chitose Airport. 35 min from the airport to Sapporo Station by JR Chitose Line (rapid train).
[Rail] 17h from Tokyo to Sapporo by sleeping car.
[Air] 2h from Itami, or 2h 15 min from Kansai International Airport to New Chitose Airport.
Around the Sapporo Area
- SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER Tourist Information Offices SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER
- Mt. Moiwa-yama Natural Scenery Mt. Moiwa-yama
- Shiroi Koibito Park Industrial Tourism Shiroi Koibito Park
- Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium Sports Facilities Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium
- Former Hokkaido Government Office Historical Architectures Former Hokkaido Government Office
- Sapporo City Clock Historical Architectures Sapporo City Clock
- Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art Museums Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art
- Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep) Cityscapes Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep)
- Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World Japanese Gardens & Parks Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World
- Migishi Kotaro Museum of Art Museums Migishi Kotaro Museum of Art
- Odori Park Japanese Gardens & Parks Odori Park
- Poplar Namiki (tree-lined) Natural Scenery Poplar Namiki (tree-lined)
- Sapporo Snow Festival Festivals & Ceremonies Sapporo Snow Festival
- Sapporo Station Transport Facilities Sapporo Station
- Maruyama-koen Park Japanese Gardens & Parks Maruyama-koen Park
- Hokkaido-jingu Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Hokkaido-jingu Shrine
- Sapporo Beer Museum Industrial Tourism Sapporo Beer Museum
More on the Sapporo Area
- Sapporo, the City of Choices Sapporo, the City of Choices
- Sapporo Tourist Association Sapporo Tourist Association
- Sapporo & Shikotsu-Toya National Park Sapporo & Shikotsu-Toya National Park
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- Interesting Travel Story Interesting Travel Story
- Moerenuma Park Moerenuma Park
- FREE Wi-Fi service just gets better and better! FREE Wi-Fi service just gets better and better!
- I gave the Hokkaido Gifts Home Delivery Service a try! I gave the Hokkaido Gifts Home Delivery Service a try!
- Advanced illuminations! Advanced illuminations!
- Delicious Hokkaido Delicious Hokkaido
- Trips to Japan in which you can fully enjoy the expressions of each season Trips to Japan in which you can fully enjoy the expressions of each season
- The family travel guide to Japan The family travel guide to Japan
- Illuminations around Japan in 2012 Illuminations around Japan in 2012