A misty port town that exudes an aura of illusion. Kushiro wetland, Japan's largest marshland.
Kushiro, which is well known as "the town of mist," is situated in the southeastern part of Hokkaido, facing the Pacific Ocean. Kushiro plays a leading role in the politics, economics and culture of eastern Hokkaido. The marine products industry of Kushiro has flourished since the early 20th century, and the long and narrow city centering on Kushiro Port still retains many features of the streets of the early 20th century port town. Takuboku Ishikawa, a famous poet and novelist, lived in Kushiro during those days, so there is also a literary atmosphere to the city.
A monument to Takuboku Ishikawa can be found in Yonemachi Park, where you can enjoy a fantastic view of Kushiro Port from an observation point. If you would like to treat yourself to a gourmet meal or enjoy shopping, Kushiro Fishermen's Wharf MOO is the place to go. This is a very popular place for both the local people and visitors, and there is always a lively, cheerful and welcoming atmosphere.
In the north of Kushiro is Japan's largest marshland, Kushiro wetland, which stretches out over the majority of the Kushiro Plain. Kushiro wetland is listed as a national park. Kushiro Tancho Nature Park is known as the site of the first successful artificial breeding of tancho cranes (Japanese cranes), which are designated as special natural monuments. There are currently about 20 tancho cranes residing in the park. They can be seen all year round.
[Air] 1h 50 min from Haneda to Kushiro Airport, and 45 min from the airport to Kushiro Station by bus.
[Air] 2h from Kansai International Airport to Kushiro Airport. (limited schedule)
Around the Kushiro Area
- Kushiro Tourist Information Center at Kushiro airport Tourist Information Offices Kushiro Tourist Information Center at Kushiro airport
- Kushiro Fishermen's Wharf Places for Shopping Kushiro Fishermen's Wharf
- Kushiro Marsh Natural Scenery Kushiro Marsh
- Hokkaidoritsu Kushiro Geijutsukan (Museum of Art) Museums Hokkaidoritsu Kushiro Geijutsukan (Museum of Art)
More on the Kushiro Area
- Kushiro Tourism and Convention Association (Japanese) Kushiro Tourism and Convention Association (Japanese)
- Kushiro, Abashiri, Shiretoko & Akan National Park Kushiro, Abashiri, Shiretoko & Akan National Park
- Kushiroshitsugen National Park Kushiroshitsugen National Park
- Interesting Travel Story Interesting Travel Story
- Kushiro Art Museum Kushiro Art Museum
- Marimo Matsuri (Spherical Algae Festival) Marimo Matsuri (Spherical Algae Festival)
- Delicious Hokkaido Delicious Hokkaido