Six rivers flow in this "City of Water." Restored from the devastation caused by the atom bomb.
Hiroshima City, facing the Seto Inland Sea, is one of the most prominent cities in the Chugoku region, and a center of the administration and economy of Hiroshima Prefecture. Six rivers flow through the city, so it is often called the "City of Water." It was devastated by an atomic bomb in World War II. All of the buildings in the surrounding area were destroyed. Hiroshima, where the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome (Genbaku Dome) miraculously remained standing, is internationally known as the "City of Peace."
Hiroshima developed as a castle town after Mori Terumoto, a feudal lord, built Hiroshima Castle, nicknamed Ri-jo (carp castle), in the 16th century. There are a number of must-see places such as the Shukkei-en Garden, a miniature scenery garden, so named because of its miniaturized models of many scenic sites, such as Lake Xiyu (West Lake) in Hangzhou, China, and the old Mitaki-dera Temple, built in 809. The red Taho-to Tower at Mitaki-dera Temple was relocated from a shrine in Wakayama to serve as a memorial tower for the victims of the atomic bomb.
Hiroshima also offers a number of gastronomical pleasures, including oysters that are said to have been cultured there since the 16th century, and Hiroshima-style 'okonomi-yaki,' unique flour crepes fried with vegetables and noodles that are slightly different in flavor at each restaurant.
[Air] Approx. 1h 30 min from Haneda to Hiroshima Airport.
[Rail] Approx. 4h from Tokyo to Hiroshima Station by JR Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Line.
[Rail] Approx. 1h 30 min from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima Station by Shinkansen.
Around the Hiroshima Area
- RIHGA ROYAL HOTEL HIROSHIMA Tourist Information Offices RIHGA ROYAL HOTEL HIROSHIMA
- GRAND PRINCE HOTEL HIROSHIMA Tourist Information Offices GRAND PRINCE HOTEL HIROSHIMA
- Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center (JR Hiroshima Station・South Exit) Tourist Information Offices Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center (JR Hiroshima Station・South Exit)
- Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center (JR Hiroshima Station・Shinkansen Side) Tourist Information Offices Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center (JR Hiroshima Station・Shinkansen Side)
- HOTEL GRANVIA HIROSHIMA Tourist Information Offices HOTEL GRANVIA HIROSHIMA
- Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center(Rest House, Peace Memorial Park) Tourist Information Offices Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center(Rest House, Peace Memorial Park)
- Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center (Shopping Center "Shareo" ) Tourist Information Offices Hiroshima City Tourist Information Center (Shopping Center "Shareo" )
- Mazda Museum Industrial Tourism Mazda Museum
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony Festivals & Ceremonies Hiroshima Peace Memorial Ceremony
- Peace Memorial Park Japanese Gardens & Parks Peace Memorial Park
- Hiroshima Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Hiroshima Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum)
- Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum Museums Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum
- Shukukei-en Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Shukukei-en Garden
- Hiroshima Castle Castles Hiroshima Castle
More on the Hiroshima Area
- The Hiroshima Brand The Hiroshima Brand
- Hiroshima & Miyajima Hiroshima & Miyajima
- Golden Route: Hiroshima/Miyajima Golden Route: Hiroshima/Miyajima
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- Hiroshima Castle Hiroshima Castle
- Shukukei-en Garden Shukukei-en Garden
- Hiroshima Electric Railway Hiroshima Electric Railway