Home of Gifu Castle and traditional cormorant fishing on the Nagara River.
Gifu is situated in the northern part of the Nobi Plain in southern Gifu Prefecture. Gifu prospered as a castle town during the Kamakura Period (13th century).
Gifu Park, located at the foot of Mt. Kinka, contains a three-storied pagoda, the Gifu City Museum of History, the Nawa Insect Museum, and the boarding area for Kinka-zan Ropeway.
The Tejikarao Fire Festival, hosted every spring by Tejikarao Shrine, is a grand event, during which portable shrines are carried aloft amidst a rain of falling sparks.
Cormorant fishing on the Nagara River takes place from May 11th to October 15th every year. In this traditional fishing method, trained cormorants are used to catch ayu (a type of river trout). Cormorant fishing has taken place here since the 8th century and the cormorant fishing masters of the Nagara River are officially recognized by the Japanese Imperial Household. Visitors can enjoy cormorant fishing from onboard viewing boats between May 11th and October 15th.
The Nagara River is also the venue for Gifu City’s annual firework festivals, which boast the greatest number of fireworks in the country and attract large crowds every year.
[Rail] 2h to Nagoya Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen and 20 minutes from Nagoya to Gifu Station by JR Tokaido Line.
[Rail] 37 min from Shin-Osaka to Maibara Station by Shinkansen, and 40 min from Maibara to Gifu Station by JR Tokaido Line.
[Rail] 20 minutes to Gifu Station by JR Tokaido Line.
From Centrair (airport):
[Rail] 55 min to Meitetsu Gifu Station by Meitetsu Line (limited express).
Around the Gifu Area
- Meishin Expressway YORO Service Area Area Concierge(Inbound) Tourist Information Offices Meishin Expressway YORO Service Area Area Concierge(Inbound)
- Nishi-Mino Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Nishi-Mino Tourist Information Center
- Meisin Expressway YORO Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound) Tourist Information Offices Meisin Expressway YORO Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound)
- Gifu City Tourist Information Office Tourist Information Offices Gifu City Tourist Information Office
- Ukai (Cormorant Fishing) Festivals & Ceremonies Ukai (Cormorant Fishing)
- Gifupaper lanterns Look for Traditional Crafts Gifupaper lanterns
- Shobo-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Shobo-ji Temple
- Ogaki Castle Castles Ogaki Castle
- Gifu Castle Castles Gifu Castle