The shrine of Tsukubusuma-jinja is also called Chikubujima-jinja. Chikubu-jima is an island in Biwa-ko, the largest lake in Japan, and has been a place of worship since ancient times because it was considered an island of the gods. The sanctuary has been repeatedly destroyed by fire, but has always been rebuilt from Fushimi Castle, which was the residential castle of the Toyotomi family who unified and ruled Japan at the end of the 16th century. It is for this reason that the gorgeous style of the Momoyama culture of the end of the 16th century, including paintings on sliding screen doors, paintings on ceilings, and gold lacquer on columns and floors, has been preserved here. The Funaroka passageway leading to the Hogon-ji Kannon-do was used for the boat of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the patriarch of the Toyotomi family. Chikubujima-sai, a festival with a 1,500-year history, is held here every year from 10-15 June.
Address: 1665 Hayazaki-cho, Nagahama-shi, Shiga
Admission Fee: 400 yen for landing on the island
[Ship]Nagahama Port/Boat (in regular service)/20 min. ride