Tsukiji Hongan-ji Temple
The original Tsukiji Honganji Temple, with an Indian-style exterior, was built in 1617 near Asakusa, but was burnt down in a huge fire that swept through Edo (Tokyo) in 1657. The Temple was then rebuilt on the present site, but destroyed again by the Great Tokyo Earthquake of 1923. The current main building was built in 1934.The main building possesses a distinctive ambience not found in other Japanese temples, due to its variety of architectural styles. The design of the stone exterior was based on an ancient Indian style and combines Buddhist, Hindu and Islamic architectural styles in a complex manner. The columns and wide stairs of the Temple moreover are reminiscent of Greek and Roman architectural styles. Inside, Buddhist statues are placed on the altar in the same way as a Japanese temple, creating a solemn air. And at the back of the main building is a pipe organ made in the former West Germany. The main building, which fuses a myriad of cultures, is a building of great artistic value.
Address: 3-15-1, Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo
Admission Fee: Free in the temple precincts
[Rail]JR Tokyo Stn./Eidan Subway Marunouchi Line/3-min. ride/Ginza Stn./Eidan Subway Hibiya Line/3-min. ride/Tsukiji Stn./1-min. walk