The Chinese people who lived in Nagasaki between the 17th and 19th centuries had temples representing each of their places of origin. In 1629, those people who had come from the province of Fuzhou in China invited the priest Chozen from Fuzhou, upon which occasion Sofuku-ji was built to be their temple. Ingen, who would later establish in Japan Obaku-shu, a branch of the Zen sect of Buddhism, came from China in 1654 to live at this temple.The Ogama ("Great Rice Cooker") which remains at this temple was produced in 1681 -- during a time of great famine -- by a priest who sold his books for this purpose. The priest used this rice cooker to make rice gruel, with which he fed tens of thousands of starving people. The main hall and the arched Chinese-style gate are designated by the national government as Important Cultural Properties.
Address: 7-5 Kajiya-machi, Nagasaki-shi, Nagasaki
Admission Fee: 300 yen (regular fee)
Closed: Open throughout the year
[Walk]Nagasaki Denki Kido Shokaku-ji-sita Stn./5-min. walk