Meiji-jingu was founded in 1921 to enshrine the Emperor and Empress Meiji, Japans first sovereign following the demise of rule by the samurai class. Most of the major buildings of the shrine were burned down in 1945 due to air raids during World War II, but thanks to donations from Japan and abroad, all were reconstructed in 1958. With many large trees still growing in its grounds, Meiji-jingu is a precious wooded area in the heart of the city. The area is also home to many birds and insects, and together with the extensive Yoyogi Koen (the park beside the shrine), it is a soothing oasis in the middle of Tokyo.'
Address: 1-1 Yoyogi-Kamizono-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
Admission Fee: Free in the shrine precincts
Closed: Open throughout the year
[Rail]JR Tokyo Stn./JR Yamanote Line/25-min. ride/Harajuku Stn./10-min. walk