Kita-in was built in the year 830 by the priest Jikaku Daishi (Ennin), who spread esoteric Buddhism. In 1599, the priest of this temple, whose name was Tenkai, gained the trust of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first shogun of the Tokugawa shogunate which ruled Japan continuously for about 250 years starting at the beginning of the 17th century. As a result, the temple greatly flourished under the protection of the government.In 1638, there was a great fire in Kawagoe, in which all of the buildings at Kita-in were destroyed except for the present main gate. The third shogun, Tokugawa Iemitsu, moved annex buildings of Edo Castle to this site. These buildings became the visitors chapel, the study, and so forth. The visitors' chapel at this temple is the building in which Iemitsu had been born, and the study was a building which had been used by Kasuga-no-Tsubone, who wielded great power as Iemitsu's wet nurse.'
Address: 1-20-1 Kosenba-machi, Kawagoe-shi, Saitama
Admission Fee: 400 yen (regular fee)
Closed: New Years holidays (Dec. 25-Jan. 8), Feb. 2-3, Apr. 2-5, late April, early May, before/after the Treasury Special Exhibition, Aug. 16
[Bus]JR Kawagoe Stn./Bus/15-min. ride/Kita-in Stop/3-min. walk