The temple of Jakko-in in the Ohara district of Sakyo-ku, Kyoto ranks with the Sanzen-in as a famous scenic temple of Ohara. Jakko-in is believed to have been built in around the 7th century by Shotoku Taishi, son of the Emperor Yomei, in memory of his father. In 1185, Emperor Antoku drowned himself in the straits of Dannoura on the Sea of Suo, together with the Heike army, who were defeated in the Battle of Dannoura. His mother, Kenrei Monin, subsequently entered the nunnery here. The 2.5 m wooden standing statue of Jizo-Bosatsu enshrined here has been designated an Important Cultural Property by the Japanese government. The Main Hall was unfortunately lost to fire in May 2000, and the statue was partially burned in the flames.'
Address: 676 Oharakusao-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
Admission Fee: 600 yen (regular fee)
Closed: Open throughout the year
[Bus]JR Kyoto Stn./Bus/45-min. ride/Ohara Stop/15-min. walk