Higashi Hongan-ji Temple
Higashi Hongan-ji is in Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto. The Otani sect of Jodo-Shinshu, one of the Buddhist sects, calls its Hongan-ji the "Higashi (eastern) Hongan-ji." The Jodo sect, founded by Shinran, a priest known for his activities in the 12th-13th centuries, was widely adopted by the public and came to acquire great influence. Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first shogun of the Edo shogunate which ruled Japan early in the 17th century, feared the considerable power of Hongan-ji and decided to split it, thus creating Higashi (eastern) Hongan-ji and Nishi (western) Hongan-ji. The temple building has been burned down several times, and the present building dates back to 1895.
Address: Karasuma-Shichijo-agaru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
Admission Fee: Free in the temple precincts
Closed: Open throughout the year
[Walk]JR Kyoto Station/On foot/5 min.