Established in the 9th century, Daigo-ji was restored in the 16th century by the hegemon Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the supreme leader of Japan at that time. With its precinct encompassing the entire mountain of Daigo-san, it is one of the largest temples in Kyoto. This vast temple precinct is divided into the area on top of the mountain and the area at the bottom of the mountain, and contains more than 80 buildings. With many National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties contained here, the entire temple is recognized by UNESCO as a World Cultural Heritage. In the area at the bottom of the mountain are the Kon-do and a five-storied pagoda, both of which are designated as National Treasures. This five-storied pagoda is the oldest extant architectural structure in Kyoto. The Seiryo-gu Haiden, which is located 3.5 km. up the steep slope from the Nyonin-do, in the area at the bottom of the mountain, is also designated as a National Treasure. The temple has been known for its cherry blossoms since the time of Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
Address: 22 Higashi-Oji-cho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto
Admission Fee: 600 yen :regular fee
600 yen :Buildings (Kondo, five-story tower, etc.)
600 yen :Reiho-kan (Treasury Hall)
1500 yen :all of 3 facilities
Closed: Open throughout the year
[Rail]JR Kyoto Stn./JR Biwako Line/5-min. ride/Yamashina Stn./Kyoto Shiei Subway Tozai Line/10-min. ride/Daigo Stn./10-min. walk