The Sumo Museum collects and preserves a wide range of materials relating to the history of sumo wrestling. The museum possesses 3,700 sumo Nishiki-e (multi-colored woodblock prints), 500 sumo dolls, Banzuke (official ranking list), and Kesho-mawashi (a silk belt with a heavily embroidered large apron with thick tassels worn by upper ranked wrestlers). The exhibits change six times each year. The museum also functions as a research center, continuously studying and reviewing sumo history as an integral part of Japanese culture. The museum was first opened in September 1954, when the Kuramae Kokugikan was completed, and was relocated to its current location in the Ryogoku Kokugikan in January 1985.
Address: Kokugikan 1F:1-3-28 Yokozuna, Sumida-ku, Tokyo
Admission Fee: Free
Closed: Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, New Years holidays'
[Rail]JR Tokyo Station/Yamate Line/4 min./Akihabara Station/Sobu Line/4 min./Ryogoku Station/On foot/1 min.