Tsuruga Castle (Wakamatsu Castle)
Kurokawa Castle, built in 1384, was the predecessor of this castle. The name was changed to Tsuruga Castle (Tsuruga-jo) after a major reconstruction in the latter half of the 16th century by the military commander, Gamo Ujisato. In the mid-19th century, a movement emerged that aimed for the overthrow of the Edo Shogunate and restoration of the Emperor. The struggle gave rise to the Aizu War of 1868, during which retainers of Lord Matsudaira, the regions governor, occupied the castle and fought bravely for about a month before surrendering. The castle became infamous for the tragic incidents that took place in those days, such as a mass suicide by youthful sword-bearing warriors. When political power moved from the Edo Shogunate to the Meiji Government, the buildings that symbolized the samurai were all demolished, and the castle tower disappeared as well. The five storied castle tower that stands today was reconstructed in 1965, based on photographs and old documents.'
Address: 1-1 Ote-machi, Aizu-Wakamatsu-shi, Fukushima
Admission Fee: 400 yen
Closed: Open throughout the year
[Bus]JR Aizu-Wakamatsu Station/Bus/15 min./Tsurugajo-kitaguchi Bus Stop/On foot/2 min.