Yamanouchi Kazutoyo, who governed this region at the beginning of the 17th century, began building Kochi Castle (Kochi-jo) in 1601 as the previous castle on the site was small. The principal buildings were completed in 1611. It was completely destroyed by fire in 1727, but was rebuilt about 25 years later and became the castle to the successive lords of the Yamanouchi family until 1860. The donjon, gates and storehouses exist to this day and have been designated Important Cultural Properties.
Address: Marunouchi, Kochi-shi, Kochi
Admission Fee: 400 yen
[Walk]JR Kochi Station/On foot/30 min.