Karatsu Castle (Karatsu-jo) was built by the daimyo Terazawa Hirotaka who governed this region in 1602. Buildings such as the castle donjon stood inside the compound with a diameter of some 4 km. The old buildings were torn down when power passed from the Edo shogunate to the Meiji government, as they symbolized the political power of the samurai. The donjon and other structures were rebuilt in 1966, however. The rebuilt donjon has five tiers and five stories, with a lower ground floor, and houses an exhibition space. Much precious fine art that bears witness to the history of Karatsu region is exhibited here.
Address: Higashi-Jonai, Karatsu-shi, Saga
Admission Fee: 400 yen
Closed: Dec. 29-31
[Bus]JR Karatsu Station/Bus/10 min./Karatsujo-iriguchi Bus Stop/On foot/5 min.