Bitchu Matsuyama Castle
Bitchu Matsuyama Castle (Bitchu Matsuyama-jo) was originally built in 1240 for the military commander Akiba Nobushige. During the "warring states" period (1477-1573) when Japans powerful daimyo struggled for supremacy, it was used by a succession of them as the base for controlling this region. Structures such as the donjon were built afterwards, in the 17th century. The height of the donjon is not great (about 9.4 m), but it is a discernibly solid structure. The double-walled arrow chamber and earthen walls have both been designated Important Cultural Properties.'
Address: 1 Uchisange, Takahashi-shi, Okayama
Admission Fee: 300 yen
Closed: Dec. 28-Jan. 4
[Car]JR Bicchu-Takahashi Station/Taxi/10 min./On foot/20 min.